S.Paul was invited to join the INDIAN EXPRESS, New Delhi, as CHIEF OF THE PHOTO DEPARTMENT, where he remained for 26 years, from 1962 to 1988.
He is INDIA’S MOST AWARDED PHOTOGRAPHER INTERNATIONALLY.
Only few of the prizes:-
1. First Indian to have been profiled with a portfolio four pictures by the World’s oldest and most prestigious THE BRITISH JOURNAL OF PHOTOGRAPHY ANNUAL 1967 followed by another portfolio with article in such short space of time in the 1969 edition (U.K)
2. First Indian to win NIKON INTERNATIONAL PHOTO CONTEST in 1971. 7 more awards in different years (JAPAN).
3. A record 7 pictures published in PHOTOGRAPHY YEARBOOK 1990 (U.K) since its inception in 1935.
4. FIRST PRIZE in the BALLANTINE’S FINEST INTERNATIONAL PHOTOGRAPHY AWRDS (U.K). On the theme “THE INSPIRATIONAL IMAGE”.
5. FIRST PRIZE in the POPULAR PHOTOGRAPHY MILLENIUM PHOTO CONTEST (60,000 pictures submitted from the world over) U.S.A
6. FIRST & SECOND PRIZE in the 7th SARC countries Photo Contest by UNICEF on the theme “GIRL CHILD”
7. 14 DAYS visit to BULGARIA, TOP AWARD in 1979 in the world’s biggest Photo Contest on “HUMOUR” pictures (BULGARIA).
8. GRAND PRIZE in the UNESCO’S ASIA & PACIFIC Countries Contest on theme “PEOPLE AT WORK” (JAPAN).
9. 1ST PRIZE SANCTUARY ASIA MLLENIUM Contest on “WILD-LIFE”.
10. 1ST PRIZE MEN AT WORK in the AGFANET INTERNATIONAL Photo Contest (GERMANY).
11. GOLD MEDAL in 48th & 49th International Photo Exhibitions of JAPAN.
12. COVER STORY on the only Indian Photographer in the FOTOGRAFIE magazine of GERMANY.
13. WORLD PRESS PHOTO, NETHERLAND BROUGHT OUT A COLLECTION OF 40 YEARS BEST PHOTOGRAPHS: “THIS CRITICAL MIRROR” IN 1995. IT HAD ONLY 2 INDIAN PICTURES.
14. EPSON INTERNATIONAL AWARD (JAPAN) SECOND PRIZE, DECEMBER 2004.
15. THE FIRST INDIAN TO BE PROFILED WITH 5 PICTURES IN THE B & W MAGAZINE U.S.A,DECEMBER, 2004,(For collectors)
16. PREMIER BIRD PHOTO CONTEST FIRST PRIZE IN BIRD WATCHER MAGAZINE, DECEMBER, 2004, U.K
17. WORLD”S MOST PRESTIGIOUS B & W SPIDER AWARDS 2006, ON THE CATEGORY “FINE-ART” & “SILLHOUTTE”.
18. CHINESE FOLKLORE---UNESCO INTERNATIONAL AWARDS, SECOND PRIZE.
19. BIRD WATCHER MAGAZINE (U.K.) WILD BIRDS PHOTO CONTEST NOVEMBER 2004 – TOP PRIZE IN BIRD BEHAVIOUR CATEGORY
20. WORLD”S MOST PRESTIGIOUS B & W SPIDER AWARDS 2007, SECOND PRIZE IN FASHION PLUS SIX MORE PICTURES ON OTHER THEMES.
21. FIRST PRIZE ON THEME COMMUNITY IN THE PHOTOGRAPHER OF THE YEAR CONTEST 2005 BY THE WHAT DIGITAL CAMERA MAGAZINE (U.K.).
The B&W magazine USA, supposedly the most prestigious photography magazine (whose each issue is a collector’s item) has labeled him Henry Cartier Bresson of India in their magazine and the website December 2004.
B&W ANNUAL SINGLE – IMAGE CONTEST INTERNATIONAL 2007- THE ONLY PERSON IN THE WORLD TO HAVE WON FOUR AWARDS.
THE WORLD’S GREATEST BLACK AND WHITE PHOTOGRAPHY BOOK (2007) HAS PUBLISHED HIS FIVE PHOTOGRAPHS (TOTAL 7 FROM INDIA), JUDGED BY 47 MOST RESPECTED NAMES FROM SEVERAL COUNTRIES OF THE WORLD.
HELD TWO ONE MAN SHOWS AT NEW DELHI ON THE MAX MULLAR BHAVAN’S INVITATION, and one each AT STUTTGART, BONN & BERLIN, by invitation, GERMANY